Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Prairie Bells

Rural Linton, ND

It's been a crazy week with the Reynolds play coming up this weekend (Come see me handcuffed to a lampost!) but I promised myself I would write a little something once a week so I figured I could write a quick little something I know a little bit about.

Literally in the middle of nowhere, as you travel down Highway 13 between the towns of Linton and Wishek, you will notice to the north a stack of bells on top of a hill.  Prairie Bells Grotto has three bells from old churches that once existed in the area many years ago.  Church bells our ancestors used to hear when they came to weekly masses, funerals, or weddings now ring out once again on a 50 foot tower on top of a hill and can be heard for up to 10 miles on some still nights.  I have easily heard these bells from my farm that was about two miles away as the crow flies. They are beautiful sound and it is a neat feeling to know someone has taken the time to stop and spend some time at this little place.

Built over 20 years ago (has it been that long already), the Vetter family built the grotto of the Holy Family from canola, wheat, and rock from nearby fields.  It was built and ready in time for one of their own to hold his very first mass after being ordained a priest.  It was a time for celebration and having these bells were the perfect way to pay homage to God.  Since that time, people from all 50 states have visited the bells as well as a number of people from various foreign countries as well.  It is a peaceful place that allows people a place for quiet prayer for their family.  I know if you stop at any of the neighboring farms in vicinity of the bells the people that live there would be more than happy to give you a little more of a personal tour and tell you more about the bells and how the grotto came to be.  They are good people and are proud of what they built.

If you are driving down the road, keep your eye open as you never know what you may find.  Pull over, spend some time, I think it'll be something you remember years from now if you do.

No comments: